Monday, February 12, 2007

Heere Be Dragones Journal--Border Swatch

I finished the body of the Dragone shawl a few days ago, and have been puzzling about the border ever since. The original border just didn't work for me. It was a bit too sloppy looking and the join looks, um, maybe not so smooth. And I didn't care for the top shaping, either. Here's Sharon's original shawl:


So I spent a few hours coming up with my own border design.



I wanted something that resembled dragon scales, and I think this does. The right side is an adaptation of an Estonian lace pattern; the left side is an adaptation of one of Kinzel's edgings. I kind of blended them together with a column of YO/K2tog. I am going to sit on it (well, not literally) for a few days, leaf through my books some more, and see if another pattern jumps out at me.

6 comments:

SheepsPyjamas said...

I quite like the "dragon scales" -- I also have Dragones, though I haven't started it yet, and I'd also planned on revising the border (assuming I ever get that far with it). Nice!

Lacefreak said...

I really like your edge! I have that pattern and I don't like the edge that much either. I might change it too but it has to wait in line awhile.

Experimental Knitter said...

This is what I think of the shawl as it is now:
OOOOOOOOOOH!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Arlene from Germany. You do a really beautiful lace knitting. I hope it will be okay, if I will place a link in my blog to your website.
Arlene

fleegle said...

Of course, Arlene! I am flattered you think it worth linking to.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. It is...definitely! :)